Saturday, January 19, 2008

Polworth (What to do with only 4 ounces?)



So I have these 4 ounces of Polworth that I bought on sale from Deep Color when it was closing it's store front. I don't know about you all, but 4 ounces of anything is kinda of little for someone like me. The color is YUMMY but still... I mean...4 ounces. I'm spinning it on my Schacht single treadle and if it looks like I just can't figure out what to make with such limited yardage I might just spin the merino tencel (another Deep Color purchase) you see below and ply it with the Polworth. This is the first time I've tried spinning Polworth and it's kind of "spongy" to my hands. Oh well. The start of a project. What will I make? Lace of course but not sure just yet what it will be :-) I'll have to get back to you.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow. It sure is pretty...I'm sure anything made with this stuff will be beautiful.

Lacefreak said...

Dear tracy,

I love the color and I'm concerned that the merino/tencel will dilute the intensity so maybe a smaller project is better. Maybe I'll just pick a lace pattern and make up a stole :-) That way when you run out you can just stop!

Monika said...

Those two colores together will be gorgeous! I can't wait to see the yarn, and of course what you'll knit with it!!! :o)

chemicalfreecaz said...

love your work, such a lot of time it would take to create such beauty. It must take a long time but very rewarding. Caz

chemicalfreecaz said...

love your work, such a lot of time it would take to create such beauty. It must take a long time but very rewarding. Caz

Lacefreak said...

Dear Monika,

Almost done with the Polworth so I'm going to spin some of the merino/tencel and see how it looks plied with the Polworth. If it looks good, then I will have enough for a larger shawl. I have my eye on a nice Herbert Niebling pattern :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear chemicalfreecaz,

Thank you! I think if I devoted more time to spinning, it would go faster, but I really spend most of my time knitting lace so if I get one handspun lace project done in a year I'm very lucky! However, the last one came out so well that I want to experiment with knitting a Niebling with my handspun and see if that style of lace will look good too!

chemicalfreecaz said...

I am new to blogger, have you used it for a long time? Do you have a business selling the things you make?
Caz

Lacefreak said...

Dear Caz,

I have been blogging on Blogger for about two years or so. I never sell anything, every. It takes too much time to spin/knit something to try to sell it. I give most of my work to family/friends who want them. Lately, I've kept a few things for myself though :-)